Thursday, February 2, 2023

Willian rates Enzo Fernandez signing and reacts to Chelsea hijacking Arsenal’s Mykhailo Mudryk deal

 

Former Chelsea star Willian believes his old club have secured a good player in Enzo Fernandez while the capture of Mykhailo Mudryk threw up memories of his own move to Stamford Bridge. The Blues spent over £250million in an incredibly busy January window which culminated with the Premier League record signing of Fernandez for £106m from Benfica on deadline day.

The 22-year-old is in line to make his debut against Fulham at Stamford Bridge on Friday night, with a resurgent Willian on the opposing team, and the Brazilian is a fan of his fellow South American. Asked about Fernandez’s club-record move to Chelsea, Willian told The Times:

‘I saw some highlights [during the] World Cup – he looks good!’

The Argentina international – who was named the best young player in Qatar – was not the only big- money arrival at Chelsea last month, with the west Londoners hijacking Arsenal’s move for Mudryk in a deal that could reach £88m. Arsenal had been locked in talks with Shakhtar Donetsk for months, while the player himself had been desperate to join the Premier League leaders, but were blown out of the water by Chelsea’s offer.

The nature of Chelsea’s swoop conjured memories of Willian’s move to the Bridge in 2013, with the Brazilian having been flown to London by Tottenham who thought they had a deal fully agreed. But on the day he was due to sign for Spurs, Chelsea swooped in at the last minute and agreed a deal with Anzhi Makhachkala.

Willian had only been at the Russian club for a few months, having previously spent six years at Shakhtar – the very same club Mudryk also played for. The similarities are clear to see and Willian says when Chelsea come calling for you it is very hard to say no – even with the new owners having taken over and the club languishing in 10th place.

‘I can see it’s different but Chelsea is Chelsea,’ the 34-year-old continued. ‘It’s a big club. They are in a difficult moment this season. But they have everything to be back in the top position, to fight for titles, because it is a big club.’

He continued: ‘I was supposed to go to Tottenham. I was in London almost three weeks, waiting, waiting, waiting. And the day that I went to sign my contract with Tottenham, Chelsea came in. ‘My agent said, “Chelsea have called and want you there, what do we do now?” I said I wanted to go to Chelsea.

‘I have respect for Tottenham as well, but it was the best choice of my career, because it was my dream to go to Chelsea. When I was in Ukraine I watched guys like John Terry, Didier Drogba, [Michael] Essien, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, a lot of stars.’

No comments:

Post a Comment